Sunday, January 24, 2010

The year of LOVE, deep LOVE.

Last year, for my New Year's goals, I decided to make a list entitled: My hopes for 2009. It included things like: go on a trip to DC, NYC, So Cal and Florida, figure out where to live after April, save $, begin taking vitamins, decorate room and read more books. All excellent things and all but a few things were completed. The incompletes will, of course, go on this years list. The very last item on my list was one in which I felt that I had very little control over and yet I decided that it would be the words to encourage me not to lose hope in the whole dating process. The last item on my list was....


Fall in LOVE, deep LOVE.


Of course I told my closest friends about it and it was often the brunt of our jokes. It made for some good laughs. When setting up our internet account, I named our network "deep love". I thought it was hilarious. After all the laughs and jokes, I have to tell you how 2009 ended and how it came true....


I met Jon in May, after moving to a new apartment. My first impression of him was that he was very attractive and very quiet. I even thought he was a little stand offish. Usually quiet people kind of scare me because I don't know what they're thinking and it makes me nervous. I didn't think much more about him until he started coming to the game nights I hosted at my house on Sunday nights. After moving to a new apartment, I had hoped to start over in regards to dating, so I hosted a game night to get to know some of the cute boys from my ward. I was intrigued by Jon, he was quiet and cute and came faithfully to my game nights. He started staying after to talk which intrigued me even more. Through those conversations, I learned that he did not have a girlfriend, nor had he dated anyone in a really long time. All pluses for me:).


At this point, I really wanted him to ask me out and I it made it very easy for him to do so:) I knew that his brother had a motorcycle that he was storing at his place and asked if his brother would let him ride it. I told him that I loved going on motorcycle rides and then just smiled and waited. Okay, I can't quite remember exactly how that went down but there was no guessing that I wanted go with him on the bike. He picked up on the cues and we set a date for later on in the week. I WAS ELATED!!! I screamed after he closed the door.


He called me the day of the date as I was getting ready and told me that he had bad new. Uh oh. He said that he could not get the keys to the bike and therefore we couldn't go. There was a long pause and then he asked, "So, what are you doing tonight?". Holly's thoughts: What am I doing tonight?!?!? Going out with you, I could have cared less what the plans were, it wasn't about the bike it was about going out with him!! I said, "Well, I thought I was going out with you, so I didn't make other plans." Pause. Pause. More pause. Holly's thoughts: He didn't really want to go out with me. Dang it, I thought this was a no fail situation. Jon said, "So do you still want to do something?" Holly said, "Yeah, I think it would be fun, if you don't have other plans." I don't quite remember how it happened after that but we ended up hiking Stewart Falls. It was the best first date I had had in a while. I won't give you all the details but it ended like this. Jon said, "Well, when I get the keys for the bike I'll call ya and let you know when we can go on a ride."


SUCCESS!! A guaranteed second date. I was so happy!!!


Again, I will spare you all of the details, but after not too many dates, I told my friend Emily that I could fall in love with this boy. Well, it happened. I fell in LOVE, deep LOVE. It happened over time, I can't tell you exactly how it happened, but it just did.


Now, I just want to share a few reasons why I love hime. Not to embarass Jon, but to tell you why I am so very happy.


I love Jon because he: treats me like a lady always, is kind and gentle, is a protector, loves the outdoors and is active, loves his job and seems to have found his life mission, is confident about his beliefs in God, listens and makes sure he understands me, cheers me up when I am sad, waves goodbye every time he leaves my house, makes me feel like he is the luckiest guy alive because he has me, is patient with me and my weaknesses, doesn't judge me, loves his parents and brothers, wants to be successful and be a good provider, is a strong Priesthood holder, respects his parents and likes to be around them, wants to have a family, says that his kids will love him and that he will an amazing dad, is stable and consistent, doesn't loose his temper (unless he is on the road), is appreciative, values hard work and because being around him makes me calm and very, very, very HAPPY.

12 comments:

Alisa said...

yay! we LOVE, deeply love, this post!!:) we're big fans of jon, and you already know we're your #1 fans, so this is perfect! I can tell you are so happy and i love it!! love you girl!

Stew and Lindsey Campbell said...

I REMEMBER you making that list!! I can even hear the way you said it in my head. So glad you did :)
Have fun in Florida!

IzeOfLight said...

I LOVE this post--yay! And I have to admit to laughing out loud--at nearly 1am--at the part where you said you screamed after he left the game night, having asked you out. I can totally see that happening! And hear it. And I remember one time when Maggie said, "Maybe there's a pillow you could scream into . . ." =) Love you, Holly! So excited for you!

Jennie Pike said...

Loving this post! Thank you for sharing your heart!

So exciting!

x x x

Nicole Caywood Photography said...

AW congratulations Holly! You deserve a good guy and it sounds like you found him :)

Unknown said...

Yay for DEEP LOVE!!!! You were so right. 2009 was your year! Love you to pieces.

Maggie said...

♥ this. Deeply.

Sheryl said...

i didn't know about about this list. i've been kicked out of the close friends list. nonetheless...I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

just know...i'm planning on two weddings this year (erin thornhill's and my friend's from high school)

my pocket needs to know if i should be expecting anything else...love you doll!

jenny said...

Amen to Laura's comment! I totally pictured the scream as well. It's so Holly! I am so excited for you. You look oh so happy my dear. Ps, I miss you.

Kayleen said...

YEA! I'm so excited for you, I can hardly stand it!!!

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

I loved this. It brought tears to my eyes because I intimately know your journey with the boys. I love that you found love deep love. People say life is what happens to you when you are busy making plans...but you made plans therefore you opened the door and your heart for what you wanted to happen and now you are engaged. I love this story. I love you and I am so happy you are engaged to a wonderful good man. He sounds sensational and someone who you can get to heaven with.

I hope we can talk soon. My life has been a whirlwind since I came back from Christmas because I have been finding a place to live. Enjoy that about UTah how easy it is!!! Oh the beasts of apartments in NyC they aren't joking when they tell you that. IT's an animal you don't want to be in a cage with. hehe

CAll me when you can and I can't wait to see your lovely ring and hear the story.
xoxo

Sheila will be so happy for you too.

xoxo,

klr

I've been their for all the Stansburys weddings and I hope I can be there for yours. ITs just wouldn't be right if I wasn't it. ARe you thinking FL or UT! yay!

Mary Ann (Crockett) Ahlstrom said...

No one deserves it more than you! I'm so happy for you. Keep the posts coming!